Employment Workplace Relations

Director, Philip Brewin is a specialist in Workplace Relations and heads our Workplace Relations Work Group.

Corporate and Business Law

The Nevett Ford Corporate and Business Law team has a wealth of experience and expertise and have established quality relationships with clients, including many small and medium business enterprises, across a wide range of industries.

Dispute Resolution ( Litigation)

Nevett Ford has wide experience in all manner of litigation.


Mediation is a process and set of principles designed to manage and resolve disputes between parties. It is an efficient and effective method of dispute resolution that can help to preserve relationships through the intervention of a third party, known as a mediator.

Property Law

Nevett Ford has been conveying Victorian property for more than 150 years.

Thursday, 16 June 2016

Superannuation – Cap and Trade

The federal government in its May 2016 Budget indicated that it intended to make changes to the superannuation system that would limit the amount of contributions people would be able to make above and beyond their compulsory employer contribution, which may affect those engaging in a family law property settlement.
The proposed change highlights the difficulty that separated parties may have in re-earning superannuation post-separation.
This is particularly the case where one party decides not to take any superannuation so that they can retain another item, for example the family home. 
It is important to note however that the family law system has taken some pre-emptive action in this regard a number of years ago.
Cases that go to Court and are decided by a Judge will now often have superannuation earnt during a relationship split between parties.
This has the effect of ensuring that both parties are put in a position where they can save for retirement, even if it means some short term difficulty with property.
With that said, it is still entirely possible for parties to organise and come to an agreement between themselves to arrange their assets how they like.
The government’s proposed changes to how superannuation work should be fully considered by your family lawyer and incorporated into your family law settlement.
You can call our experienced lawyers to discuss your situation and whether you might be affected by the changes on 03 9614 7111.

Monday, 6 June 2016

What should you do to stop a child you have parental responsibility for from leaving Australia?

Make an application to the Family Court seeking an order that your child be prevented from leaving Australia and that they be placed on the Airport Watch List.

What do you need to do to prevent a child’s passport being issued?

  1. Seek a Court Order stopping a passport being issued for your child; or
  2. Lodge a “Child Alert Request” at the Australian Passport Office (alerts do not prevent a child leaving Australia on a valid Australian Passport or on a foreign passport or a passport issued by another country.)
    Applications for international travel or preventing children leaving Australia require applications and affidavits in support of such applications. 
    Please contact our Family Law Team on 03 9614 7111 if you require further assistance.