Employment Workplace Relations

Director, Philip Brewin is a specialist in Workplace Relations and heads our Workplace Relations Work Group.

Corporate and Business Law

The Nevett Ford Corporate and Business Law team has a wealth of experience and expertise and have established quality relationships with clients, including many small and medium business enterprises, across a wide range of industries.

Dispute Resolution ( Litigation)

Nevett Ford has wide experience in all manner of litigation.


Mediation is a process and set of principles designed to manage and resolve disputes between parties. It is an efficient and effective method of dispute resolution that can help to preserve relationships through the intervention of a third party, known as a mediator.

Property Law

Nevett Ford has been conveying Victorian property for more than 150 years.

Monday, 12 September 2016

What age can my child decide which parent they live with or spend time with?

There is no specific age at which a child can decide who they live with or whether they choose to exercise contact to the other parent.  Children are minors until they reach 18 years of age. 

A child can express a view generally in the context of a family report writer’s meeting with them about who they want to live with and whether they wish to spend time with the parent. However, any decision regarding children's living arrangements must be made in the best interests of the child.

If you require expert advice regarding parenting matters, please contact our family law department on 03 9614 7111.