Tuesday, 20 May 2014

Can I change a child's name without permission from the other party?

No. If the parties cannot agree to a name change then court action is necessary.  The court would look at the following factors:
·         The best interests of the child
·         Confusion of identity
·         Short and long-term effects of a name change
·         Effect on the child's relationship with the party not seeking the name change
·         Embarrassment to the child (eg. If surname is different from mother's)
Sometimes parties agree on a hyphenated surname as a compromise.

No comments:

Post a Comment